Have you ever looked at a fabulously dressed woman and thought: “Her outfit is SO Cape Town?” How about Johannesburg or Durban? SKIP thinks that each of these cities follows its own style rules and has its own brand of fabulous. That’s why Skip is proud to introduce its #MyFabulous campaign.
Phase One kicks off in June, in celebration of the launch of the Skip Fabulous Edition pack. Fashion Designers Sibu Msimang (@SibuMsimang), Rich Mnisi (@Rich_Mnisi), and Jenevieve Lyons (@Jenevieve_Lyons) will start gathering inspiration via Instagram to create 10 complete looks inspired by the unique styles of the three major cities of South Africa – with help from you.
The inspiration for the ranges gathered during the month will come directly from the fabulous women living in Durban, Johannesburg and Cape Town. By using the each city’s hashtag – #MyFabulousDBN, #MyFabulousJHB and #MyFabulousCPT – and taking part in Skip South Africa’s Instawalks and weekly Instagram Challenges, the designers will be able to follow the images submitted and refer to them when they go into production.
Phase Two in July, our designers will start producing their respective ranges based on your images on Instagram. During this phase, they’ll be translating your photographs into garments, and documenting their design process on their Instagram profiles.
Phase Three is the culmination of all your hard work – The #MyFabulous ranges will be all be revealed on 13 August 2015 at the Skip Fashion Exchange event in Johannesburg. You’ll be able to see how the designers have interpreted all the images they’ve seen over the last few weeks and how they’ve incorporated them in to wearable fashion. You’ll also stand a chance to win your respective city’s collection to the value of R50, 000.
Here’s how you can inspire your city’s fabulous collection:
- The project begins with countrywide Instawalks hosted by Skip. Because we all see the world in a different way, by exploring parts of the city together while documenting the sights we take in, we’ll be able to create a montage of images that represent #MyFabulous.
- The dates for the Instawalks are as follows – but make sure you’re following @SkipSouthAfrica for more details:
o 30 May 2015 – Durban (kicking off at the Skate Park on the beach front at 10h00)
o 6 June 2015 – Johannesburg (meeting in Braamfontein outside Daleahs at 10h00)
o 13 June 2015 – Cape Town (meeting outside the Aquarium at the VA& Waterfront at 10h30)
- Every week in June, Skip will also post Instagram Challenges on its account, @SkipSouthAfrica, asking for your interpretation of the colours, textures, shapes and other themes that define your favourite city’s look.
- Tag your images with the hashtags so the designers and the public can track your submissions by searching Instagram for #MyFabulousDBN, #MyFabulousJHB and #MyFabulousCPT.
- At the end of the project in August, the designers will choose the most inspiring contributor from their city. The winner will receive their respective city’s limited edition collection tailored to fit them.
For regular updates on the inspiration coming through, follow @SkipSouthAfrica and check in with @SibuMsimang, @Rich_Mnisi, and @Jenevieve_Lyons on Instagram. Skip’s Facebook page and Twitter accounts will also be posting updates.